In the late 1880s, Richmond, Virginia, was the center of drug wholesaling in the South. Only New Orleans matched the number of Richmond’s five established wholesalers.
Otho O. Owens and G. Gilmer Minor were talented young salesmen working for competing drug wholesalers. As their paths crossed, they recognized and admired each other’s talents and began to discuss the future of drug wholesaling. In 1882, they launched their own company: Owens & Minor.
Much has happened since 1882. Mr. Owens died in 1906, and the Minor family became instrumental in our growth, with four successive generations of Minors serving as visionaries and taking the company to new heights.
Owens & Minor became one of the most prominent drug wholesalers in the South. In the 1960s, the company entered the medical-surgical supply business—and the rest is history.
Through strategic acquisitions of other medical-surgical distributors over the decades, Owens & Minor gained national strength and stature to become the industry leader we are today.