Yale New Haven Hospital (YNHH), part of the Yale New Haven Health System, a tertiary referral center, and the primary teaching hospital for Yale University School of Medicine, decided the time had come to improve and enhance its vendor-managed suture and endomechanical inventories. At the time, the hospital was purchasing more than needed to support its operative case volumes. YNHH was unable to ascertain the real financial impact of new products and technologies or to manage contract compliance.
As a result of using Owens & Minor's PANDACSM wound closure asset management system, YNHH has been able to achieve improved management of suture inventory and other product categories. Positive benefits include lower inventories, reduced labor demand, and improved information availability. YNHH uses this knowledge of inventory across its system to improve its contracting capability and its contract compliance rates.
Yale New Haven Hospital Uses Owens & Minor's PANDACSM Program to Achieve Measureable Results
By working with Owens & Minor, Yale New Haven Health was able to overcome specific challenges and achieve tangible savings of more than $650,000 over three years.
- Rising inventory levels resulting from inability to match product acquisition to product utilization
- Meeting the demands of managing 52 stock-keeping locations with a shrinking labor pool
- Reducing the number of stock-outs and improving communication between the O.R., clinicians, and materials management professionals
- Managing contract compliance
- Recognized savings of more than $650,000 over three years
- Eliminated obsolete and slow moving SKUs
- Reduced number of managed SKUs by one-third
- Reduced number of stocking locations
- Reduced stock-outs in O.R. inventory
- Improved tracking of back orders
- Improved contract compliance, resulting in better financial results
Suture and Endomechanicals is a product category that is troublesome for many reasons, including advances in technology, physician preference, and a vast array of choices. It is critical that we have an advanced asset management program in the O.R. for the purpose of managing this specific product line.Joe Lederer
Director, Perioperative Support services, Yale New Haven Health System